Green Plains Renewable Energy, Inc. Cattle Manager in Eckley, Colorado
GPC Eckley, CO
Eckley, CO, USA
Manages the movement of cattle from the introduction onto the feed yard, all the way through, and including their shipment out of the feed yard, maximizing cattle performance and profitability. This is successfully done by coordinating activities of workers who are engaged in the care and movement of livestock in the feed yard.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor expected delivery list and prepare receiving list.
- Manage other supervisors who oversee employees including Receivers, Doctors, Penriders, and Processors. This includes the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these departments.
- Directs supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Interviews and train new employees through training, then plans, assigns, directs work.
- Oversee preparation and insure completion of all receiving records.
- Manage, lead, and develop all Pen-Riders, Animal Health Crew, Quality Control, and Processing Crew.
- Oversee itemized animal health billing process for customer billings.
- Ensure animals are weighed prior to shipping and shipping information is complete.
- Communicate with Animal Health and Feed Manager with issues concerning animal health and feeding.
- Project capital expenditures for animal health and assists in the preparation and maintenance of the annual budget.
- Develops department budget, manages expenses and supplies by studying historical data, anticipating needs and researching costs, designing inventory systems, determining inventory levels required and approving orders.
- Evaluates personnel for job performance and bonus, as well as rewarding and disciplining employees and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure monthly housekeeping inspections.
- Oversee preparation of non-conformance logs and reports on cattle received.
- Ensure compliance with all ISO/HACCP and OSHA/Safety procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- College Degree or 3-5 years industry experience in cattle health and performance.
- Animal husbandry skills, knowledge of cattle breeds and characteristics.
- Previous supervisory or management experience.
- A good understanding of OSHA/HACCP guidelines is needed as well as an understanding of a cattle accounting system.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are required.
- Valid driver license.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to perform basic math functions and calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, etc.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Strong MS Office experience and proficiency with developing and using spreadsheets and/or databases.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) skills are a plus.
- Display consistent skills, behaviors, and attitudes congruent with the values and strategies of Green Plains Cattle Company; model high performing level of motivation, performance and personal integrity that others strive to emulate; match actions and words.
- Understand the organization, strategic objectives, structure; work effectively within the organization to achieve results; work continuously to make linkages and build networks within the organization.
- Know customers in the market territory; keep up to date on key competitors; understand and respond to the needs and expectations of relevant customer segments; establish effective working relationships with customers to gain respect and loyalty; identify opportunities presented by changes and shifts in the marketplace.
- Match resources, processes, and management style to the demands of the situation; preserve and develop productive capacity while accomplishing immediate and long-term objectives, concentrating on core business.
- Monitor daily implementation of activities, projects, policies and procedures; notice errors and gaps; keep detailed and accurate records; process paperwork promptly and follow up on important details.
- Understand the financial implications of various actions; make effective use of various sources of financial information (e.g., operating reports, spreadsheets, etc.) establish and meet realistic budget goals based on sound cost analysis; take continuous action to control costs while maintaining high quality performance.
- Meet or exceed technical/functional expectations.
- Provide consistent, clear work direction relative to current priorities; delegate and assign work based on employee skill, experience and development needs; monitor work progress against goals; manage conflicting requirements; remove obstacles; instill a sense of urgency relative to task.
- Communicate in an open, straight forward, honest and respectful style; check for message clarity; understand the effect the communication style has on others, including nonverbal communications; plan for and adapt to the wide variety of communication preferences and needs of others.
- Develop an understanding of and assesses group dynamics; take action to enhance the productivity and collaboration among subordinates and peers; create an environment that encourages and reinforces teamwork.
- Assume responsibility for necessary actions or problems resolution; appropriately initiate behavior on projects or initiatives without requiring explicit management direction or guidance; know when management involvement is required and seek it out.
- Keep personal feelings in check; remain impartial; gather relevant data before taking action.
- Deal with others in an honest, ethical and fair manner; act in ways that are consistent with beliefs: openly address conflicts when they arise; provide clear and appropriate reasons for decisions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, airborne particles and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions and the noise level in the work environment is sometimes loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb and balance. This position is occasionally required to walk and use hands to finger, handle, and feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Best Management Practices (BMP) Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Posted: June 19, 2020