City of Colorado Springs SEASONAL - Trail Technician (PT Maintenance Support) in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description / Position Overview
*Trail Technician *
In this position, you will implement stewardship, restoration, and trail management projects that uphold the specific requirements set forth by master and management plans and conservation easements for specific TOPS (Trails, Open Space and Parks) properties.
**This is a seasonal (at-will) position with benefits limited to those required by applicable state and federal laws, which include Worker's Compensation, Medicare, Unemployment Insurance, and PERA (Public Employees' Retirement Association).
Anticipated dates of employment will be mid-April through mid-October. Normal work schedule will vary but will be between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. daily. Total hours worked will not exceed 1,500 annually.**
According to Travelers’ Choice 2021
Best of the Best, Colorado Springs is #7 of
Emerging Destinations - World. Take a look and see why!
*Essential Job Functions *- the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Implement trail rehabilitation, trail construction, erosion control, restoration, and reclamation projects for TOPS properties.
- Perform maintenance on TOPS properties, including cleaning bathrooms, mowing, repairing fences, repairing parking lots and roads, pruning, painting, and removing trash and snow
Assist with mapping rogue trails and trail infrastructure We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
Knowledge of trail maintenance and the associated tools, equipment, and materials used
- Knowledge of heavy equipment, including backhoes, skid steer loaders, excavators, and wood chippers
- Knowledge of proper Department of Transportation transit and tie down requirements
- Knowledge of pertinent safety practices and procedures
- Knowledge of small power equipment, including chainsaws, string trimmers, augers, and lawn mowers
- Knowledge of GIS/GPS technologies and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
Ability to safely use assigned equipment and vehicles Successful candidate will have
Be at least 18 years of age
- Have college level coursework in biology, environmental studies, park management, natural resources, or a related field
Possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver's license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges Ideal candidates will also have
One year of park maintenance, trail work, or natural resources experience Additional Information
This position requires the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, hike up to six miles per day, stand, stoop, climb, bend, and lift up to 60 pounds frequently. *NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.*
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position. The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions can be found on the website.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer**
Salary: $15.00 - $17.00 Hourly
Location: Recreation and Cultural Services - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Seasonal
Division (Level 4): Parks, Rec & Cultural Svc
Job Number: S13887
Closing: 3/8/2021 4:00 PM Mountain
Agency: City of Colorado Springs
Address: 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 301 Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903
Phone: 719-385-5171 719-385-5171