City of Colorado Springs Code Enforcement Officer in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description / Position Overview
Code Enforcement Officer
In this position, you will perform duties to support the Neighborhood Services Code Enforcement Program.
Come join the City’s team as a Code Enforcement Officer with the Neighborhood Services Division!
Learn why people love to live, work and play in Colorado Springs:
Colorado Springs is One of the Best Places to Live according to
(This information may change annually).
Essential Job Functions- the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Investigate complaints, meet with citizens, and enforce codes related to housing standards, environmental health, vehicle and vegetation abatement, and zoning ordinances
- Issue condemnation orders
- Intervene and mediate to resolve potential conflicts regarding citations or code violations
- Inspect homes, apartment buildings, businesses, vacant lots, and other properties to ensure compliance with housing standards, zoning and environmental health codes, ordinances, and regulations; determine whether properties are in compliance
- Issue notices of violation; perform follow-up inspections
- Document all actions and notices
- Testify in court and at administrative proceedings
- Respond in a courteous manner to public inquiries and complaints about code violations such as minimum housing standards, sanitation, weeds, junk vehicles, litter, land use/zoning, and graffiti
- Interview complainants and witnesses
- Take photographs of violations and document activities using a computer; effectively and accurately convey observations
- Perform research to determine ownership and approved uses of property
- Work with neighborhoods within designated Community Development Block Grant areas to interdict signs of blight
Foster community involvement with neighborhoods and organizations We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
Knowledge of operations, services, and activities of a code enforcement program
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and techniques of technical inspection and code enforcement
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of investigating property ownership
- Knowledge of modern office technology
- Knowledge of pertinent state and local ordinances, regulations, and health codes
- Ability to use noise and light meters, police radios, and mobile field reporting equipment
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and case management software
*Machines, Tools, Equipment, and Work Aids: *Noise meter, thermometer, camera, light meter, tape measure, fax, calculator, telephone, knife, wire cutters, hammer, loppers, mace, and police radio
Successful candidate will have
- A high school diploma or GED supplemented by specialized training in housing codes, public health, environmental regulations, or a related field
- One year of full-time code enforcement, law enforcement, technical inspection, or related experience
- Possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver's license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges
Possess, or obtain within one year of hire, Code Enforcement Certification from the Colorado Association of Enforcement Officials Ideal candidates will also have
Experience with investigations, inspections, and enforcement Additional Information
**Please include a cover letter with your application.
This is primarily a day shift position, Monday through Saturday, with hours between 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.**
**The background check for this position includes a polygraph examination and fingerprinting.
Applicants that have used marijuana within 18 months from the posting closing date will not be eligible for hire. More information about the Colorado Springs Police Department's Marijuana Use Policy can be found here..**
*Physical Demands: *This position requires the ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally and 10 pounds frequently.
*Environmental Conditions * Primary Work Environment - Office/field environment with travel from site to site Extreme Temperature - Seasonally Wetness and Humidity - Several times per month Respiratory Hazards - Several times per month Noise and Vibrations - Several times per month Physical Hazards - Several times per month Mechanical and/or Electrical Hazards - Occasionally Exposure to Communicable Diseases - Frequent contact with the public
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. To view the City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions Click Here
To view the status of your application Click Here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
**Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: $4,073.00 - $4,890.00 Monthly
Location: Neighborhood Services - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Classified - Full Time
Division (Level 4): Planning & Community Svcs Dev
Job Number: 13787
Closing: 2/4/2021 4:00 PM Mountain
Agency: City of Colorado Springs
Address: 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 301 Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903
Phone: 719-385-5171 719-385-5171